by Joseph Brady, Director of Business Development and Cloud Alliance Leader at Treehouse Software, Inc.
Many mainframe integration scenarios require continuous near-real-time replication of relational data to keep a copy of the data synched in the Cloud. Change Data Capture (CDC) is used for this near-real-time transactional replication by capturing change log activity to drive changes in the target dataset.
Just what is CDC anyway?
Simply put, and in relation to Mainframe-to-Cloud and open systems data replication, CDC is the use of processes to identify when data has been changed in a source system, so the replicated upstream or downstream (depending on how you look at it) target can be kept in sync with the changes.
In a recent AWS Architecture Blog, readers learn about integration using mainframe data to build Cloud native services with AWS, including transactional replication-based integration via CDC.
As mentioned in the blog, AWS Partner CDC Tools are available for connecting data center mainframes to the various data targets, and Treehouse Software’s tcVISION is one of those tools available in the AWS Marketplace.
tcVISION allows changes occurring in any mainframe application data to be tracked and captured, and then published to a variety of target AWS databases and applications. tcVISION provides an easy and fast approach for Hybrid Cloud projects, enabling real-time and bi-directional data replication between the hardware and AWS.
Example of Db2-to-AWS CDC using tcVISION Mainframe Manager:
tcVISION supports several CDC methods available, depending on each customer’s use case:
- Efficient transfer of entire databases
- Analysis for data consistency (verification)
- Initial load (ETL) and periodic mass data transfer
- One-step data transfer
- Transfer of changed data near-realtime or scheduled time frame
- Reads both active logs and archived logs
- Comparison of data snapshots using checksums
- Efficient transfer of changed data since last processing
- Flexible processing options (SORT etc.)
- Automatic creation of deltas by tcVISION
- Real-time capture of changed data directly from the DBMS
- Secure data storage even across DBMS restart
- Flexible propagation methods
Interested in seeing a live, online demo of tcVISION CDC?
Just fill out the Treehouse Software tcVISION Demonstration Request Form and a Treehouse representative will contact you to set up a time for your online tcVISION demonstration.